Student Employment - Spring 2019 - Rec Center - Trip Leader Apprentice Program
RRCC Student Employment Position Announcement
Department: Student Recreation
Position Title: Trip Leader Apprentice Program
Position Type: Work-Study preferred, Student Hourly Considered
Job Description: The Red Rocks Adventure Program (RRAP) is designed to offer students a unique and valuable opportunity to experience the outdoors. The trips program is a part of the RRAP that works to facilitate an outdoor experience for participants which will allow them to learn about the outdoors while also gaining a better understanding of themselves. At the core of this program are the Trip Leaders, who will be paid staff members who have successfully completed the semester-long Apprentice Training Program.
It is the job of the Apprentice Trip Leader to learn the skills necessary to be successful in the role of trip leader, and to apply their passion for the outdoors to our team. This process includes training in everything from soft skills (such as communication and team building) to hard skills (such as backpacking, wilderness survival, and rock climbing). Upon successful completion of the training program, Apprentices will be offered paid trip leader staff positions.
- Learn how to lead outdoor adventure trips ranging from half day trips to week long trips.
- Monitor and discern the well-being of all participants while maintaining group and personal safety.
- Adhere to and model RRAP philosophy during all programs.
- Educate participants on RRAP philosophy during all programs.
- Assist in leading 3+ trips and/or clinics per semester and facilitate positive group interaction.
- Promote RRAP and represent the Student Recreation Center in a positive way.
- Provide excellent customer service; be courteous and eloquent at all the times.
- Work in close collaboration with Adventure Coordinator to assist in furthering the mission of the RRAP and the Student Recreation Center.
- Attend and engage in staff meetings, seminars and trainings as requested, including 3+ training trips which will take place over the course of a semester, as well as 3+ classroom sessions
- Leadership and outdoor experience are preferred.
- First Aid, and CPR certification or ability to obtain within 1 month of hire.
- Ability to maintain high academic standards with a minimum of 2.0 GPA.
- Ability to communicate effectively, a strong work ethic, ability to act in a mature and responsible manner.
- Willingness to make a minimum of two-semester commitment to the RRAP upon completion of the Apprentice Program.
- Positive work ethics including a team oriented attitude, initiative, a commitment to providing the highest quality programs possible, and a welcoming personality.
You must be eligible for student employment (enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit hours for the semester in which you will be working) to apply for this position.
Skills you will gain/enhance:
- Teambuilding and group development
- Risk management and problem solving
- Logistics and trip planning
- Communication, teaching, and instruction
- Technical skill in a variety of outdoor disciplines (climbing, hiking, mountain biking, Leave No Trace, etc.)
Job Payment Information:
Wage: $11.10 per hour
Paid: Bi-Weekly (Fridays)
How to Apply:
Click the link below to apply for this position!
For questions about this position, contact Ben Wygant, Intramural and Adventure coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org, 303-914-6379)
For questions about student employment in general, contact email@example.com.
Red Rocks Community College is committed to diversity in its people and programs. The College is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, creed, color, sex/gender, sexual orientation gender identity, religion, age, national/ ethnic origin, pregnancy status, veteran’s status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or any other category protected by applicable law, in its employment practices or educational programs and activities.
RRCC has designated the Executive Director of Human Resources as its Affirmative Action Officer/Equal Opportunity Administrator/Title IX Administrator with the responsibility to coordinate its civil rights compliance activities and grievance procedures. For information, contact Arnie Oudenhoven, Executive Director of Human Resources. 13300 West Sixth Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80228. 303-914-6224.