Student Employment - Fall 2019 - Trip Leader Apprentice - Rec Center
RRCC Student Employment Position Announcement
Department: Student Recreation
Position Title: Trip Leader Apprentice Program
Position Type: Work-Study preferred, Student Hourly Considered
Job Description: The Red Rocks Adventure Program (RRAP) is designed to offer students a unique and valuable opportunity to experience the outdoors. The trips program is a part of the RRAP that works to facilitate an outdoor experience for participants which will allow them to learn about the outdoors while also gaining a better understanding of themselves. At the core of this program are the Trip Leaders, who will be paid staff members who have successfully completed the semester-long Apprentice Training Program.
It is the job of the Apprentice Trip Leader to learn the skills necessary to be successful in the role of trip leader, and to apply their passion for the outdoors to our team. This process includes training in everything from interpersonal skills (such as communication and team building) to technical skills (such as backpacking, wilderness survival, and rock climbing). Upon successful completion of the training program, Apprentices will be offered paid trip leader staff positions.
- Learn how to lead outdoor adventure trips ranging from half day trips to week long trips.
- Monitor and discern the well-being of all participants while maintaining group and personal safety.
- Adhere to and model RRAP philosophy during all programs.
- Educate participants on RRAP philosophy during all programs.
- Assist in leading 3+ trips and/or clinics per semester and facilitate positive group interaction.
- Promote RRAP and represent the Student Recreation Center in a positive way.
- Provide excellent customer service; be courteous and eloquent at all the times.
- Work in close collaboration with Adventure Coordinator to assist in furthering the mission of the RRAP and the Student Recreation Center.
- Attend and engage in staff meetings, seminars and trainings as requested, including 3+ training trips which will take place over the course of a semester, as well as 3+ classroom sessions
- Leadership and outdoor experience are preferred.
- First Aid, and CPR certification or ability to obtain within 1 month of hire.
- Ability to maintain high academic standards with a minimum of 2.0 GPA.
- Ability to communicate effectively, a strong work ethic, ability to act in a mature and responsible manner.
- Willingness to make a minimum of two-semester commitment to the RRAP upon completion of the Apprentice Program.
- Positive work ethics including a team oriented attitude, initiative, a commitment to providing the highest quality programs possible, and a welcoming personality.
You must be eligible for student employment (enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit hours for the semester in which you will be working) to apply for this position.
Skills you will gain/enhance:
- Teambuilding and group development
- Risk management and problem solving
- Logistics and trip planning
- Communication, teaching, and instruction
- Technical skill in a variety of outdoor disciplines (climbing, hiking, mountain biking, Leave No Trace, etc.)
Job Payment Information:
Wage: $11.10 per hour
Paid: Bi-Weekly (Fridays)
How to Apply:
Click the link below to apply for this position!
For questions about this position, contact Ben Wygant, Intramural and Adventure coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org, 303-914-6379)
For questions about student employment in general, contact email@example.com.
Note: Former employees of the Colorado Community College System or one of its 13 colleges, who were disciplinary terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this within your application materials.
Red Rocks Community College is committed to diversity in its people and programs. The College prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment including those that violate federal and state law or the State Board for Community Colleges and Occupational Education Board Policies 3-120 and/or 4-120. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender, race, color, age, creed, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, pregnancy status, religion, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its employment practices or educational programs and activities. Red Rocks Community College will take appropriate steps to ensure that the lack of English language skills will not be a barrier to admission and/or participation in vocational education programs.
RRCC has designated Arnie Oudenhoven as its Affirmative Action Officer/Equal Opportunity Administrator/Title IX Administrator with the responsibility to coordinate its civil rights compliance activities and grievance procedures. Report all concerns or complaints relating to discrimination or harassment to the Title IX/EO Coordinator(s). For information, contact Arnie Oudenhoven Executive Director, HR, Title IX Coordinator, Title VII/Equal Opportunity Coordinator, ADA/Sec 504 Coordinator, via mail at 13300 West Sixth Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80228. Phone 303.914.6298, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Deborah Houser, Assistant Director of Human Resources/Deputy Title IX Coordinator, 303.914.6224 email@example.com. 13300 West Sixth Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80228.
You may also contact the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Region VIII, Federal Office Building, 1244 North Speer Boulevard, Suite 310, Denver, CO 80204, telephone (303) 844-3417.
Reasonable accommodation will be provided upon request for persons with disabilities. If you are a person with a disability who requires an accommodation to participate in the application process, please notify Human Resources at 303-914-6570.
RRCC conducts pre-employment background checks on all employment finalists to determine or verify background information, including criminal history, references from previous employment, qualifications, and, when applicable, driving history. Employment offers are contingent upon receiving a satisfactory report.
For information regarding Red Rocks Community College Security, including crime statistics for the Red Rocks Community College Lakewood and Arvada campuses, please see the Red Rocks Community College campus security website at http://www.rrcc.edu/police/. For a hard copy report, please contact 303.914.6494.