STEM Core Navigator
Position Title - STEM Core Navigator
Primary Work Location - 13300 West Sixth Avenue Lakewood Colorado 80228
Salary - $33,544/annual *This is an 80% appointment*
Starting Pay Rate - Starting salary is not negotiable
Anticipated Start Date - August 2019 with a mandatory training on August 15, 2019.
FLSA Status - Exempt; this position is not eligible for overtime
Closing Date - This position is open until filled. Applications received by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday August 04, 2019 will be given full consideration.
Job Type - This is an 80%, 32 hour per week appointment.
Retirement - The Colorado Public Employees’ Retirement Association (PERA) provides retirement and other benefits to employees of the State of Colorado.
Time Off -
- Annual/Personal Days: 22.5 (180 hours)
- Sick Days: 15 (120 hours)
(Over 12 months, based on full time appointment accruals)
- Administrative Leave for Academic and Volunteer Activities: (18 hours per fiscal year)
- Holidays Observed: 10
Four Holidays are observed on an alternate schedule (Columbus Day, Veteran’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and President’s Day). RRCC observes these holidays between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day, resulting in campus being closed from Christmas Day through New Year’s Day, with eligible employees on Holiday Leave!
- Jury Leave
- Military Leave
Special Note - This is a two-year, grant-funded position (set to end June 2021). Multi-year grants are funded based on the fiscal years for the full grant period. However, there is no guarantee that funding is available year after year from the awarding agencies. Employment with the college after each grant-funded period is not assured. Grant-funded positions cannot guarantee a payout of leave benefits. Grant-funded employees are encouraged to work with their supervisor to schedule and utilize annual leave benefits during each grant fiscal year.
Red Rocks Community College seeks applications for a Navigator to join our IDEA Institute.
Red Rocks Community College exemplifies extraordinary. We are dedicated to our Vision and Mission, which promote student achievement, staff empowerment, and community engagement. We live our values: Integrity, Collaboration, Learning, Inclusiveness, and Communication. We encourage applications from individuals whose background and interests align with our commitment to inclusiveness and welcome you to visit the RRCC Inclusion & Diversity webpage for additional information. Visit - https://www.rrcc.edu/about-us/our-mission and https://www.rrcc.edu/diversity for information.
With an unrivaled reputation grounded in our Values, we stand out as a cutting edge model in higher education. We are one of the first community colleges in the country to offer both Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs. Our continued pursuit of excellence is instilled in our employees and has inspired a dynamic and passionate culture.
The STEM Core Navigator will assist with the development, implementation, and evaluation of activities designed to support the academic success of students enrolled in the STEM Core math courses, particularly those participating in the Engineering Academy.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Experience tutoring, advising, counseling, teaching, student services, or leading student clubs/organizations.
- Bachelor or Master in Engineering or other STEM related filed.
- Mathematical competency through Calculus.
- Experience in supporting students in a STEM-focused initiative.
- Experience working in a community college environment.
- Experience supporting federal-grant funded activities, including student file management, data and narrative reporting.
- Membership in or experience working in diverse communities and supporting the success of students and staff from racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds that are underrepresented in the college.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Excellent facilitation, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to prepare and deliver clear, concise reports and presentations appropriate to the target audience.
- Mathematical competency through Calculus.
- Outstanding organizational and time management abilities.
- Ability to develop skill-based workshops related to targeted industry needs such as CAD, programming, welding, and robotics.
Description of Position:
- Provide regular coaching for students enrolled in STEM Core courses, particularly participants in the Engineering Academy.
- Schedule monthly one-on-one check-in meetings with students in the Engineering Academy.
- Assist students with guided pathways and appropriate course scheduling.
- Organize and develop skill-building workshops and hands-on engagement related to career preparation in STEM fields.
- Coordinate visits/presentations with local industry and field trips to 4-year universities.
- Assist with Engineering Academy recruitment for new cohorts.
- Provide wrap-around student services, including regular one-on-one and small groups tutoring for students enrolled in STEM Core courses.
- Provide opportunities for students to develop academic and career enrichments skills such as study skills, team building, communication, goal setting, and professionalism.
- Attend STEM Core classes to support student academic success.
- Serve as a resource for faculty when appropriate to address possible barriers to students’ success in the course.
- Connect students to college resources as needed and preemptively.
- Regularly collect and maintain cohort data; communicate and prepare reports as required by the grant.
- Participate in campus committees and projects as they relate to the goals of this project and to the college.
How to Apply:
This position is open until filled. Applications received by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday August 04, 2019 will be given full consideration. To apply for this position, click the button below and complete an application, including the following:
- A cover letter describing your professional experiences and addressing the required and preferred qualifications.
- A resume.
- Transcripts (unofficial), if applicable
Additional upload sections are available in the application to include optional attachments.
Please note the following prior to beginning your application:
Your application progress cannot be saved. If you exit prior to submitting your materials, you will need to restart the application.
- As a part of the application process, you will be asked to provide the name, phone number, and email address of three professional references. References will only be contacted for candidates at the second level interview stage.
- You will be required to attach a cover letter, resume, and transcripts. Your cover letter should describe your professional experiences and address the required and preferred qualifications.
- Once you submit your application, you will no longer have an opportunity to review or make changes.
- You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been received.
RRCC offers a range of benefit choices (Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, Life Insurance, Supplemental Retirement Plans, PERA, Disability Benefits, and more). For additional information, please click here, https://internal.cccs.edu/human-resources/employee-benefits/.
The Assessment Process:
Red Rocks Community College utilizes selection and/or search committees in the hiring process for vacant positions. The committee will review all applications received by the closing deadline listed on this announcement to determine if applicants meet required qualifications. The committee will complete a secondary review of applications that meet required qualifications to determine applicants that align more closely with the listed qualifications. The top applicants from this assessment process receive an invite for the first round of committee interviews.
Be sure your application materials specifically address your qualifications, experience, work products, and accomplishments, as they relate to the position responsibilities, required qualifications, and preferred qualifications sections of this announcement. Upload additional documents, if necessary, to fully explain your experience and qualifications as they relate to this position. Failure to include adequate information or follow instructions and apply by the listed submission deadline, may result in your application not being accepted for this position, and may affect your inclusion as a qualified candidate at any stage in the search/selection process for this position.
An unofficial copy of transcripts must be submitted at the time of application. Assessment is required for Transcripts from colleges or universities outside the United States for U.S. equivalency by a NACES educational credential evaluation service. This documentation is the responsibility of the applicant and must be included as part of your application materials. Failure to provide a transcript or credential evaluation report may result in the rejection of your application and you will not be continued in the search/selection process for this position announcement. If selected as the finalist for the position, official transcripts are required as a condition of employment.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Must submit to and successfully complete a pre-employment background check as a condition of hire. Felony convictions or conviction of crimes of moral turpitude or convictions of misdemeanors related to job duties may disqualify you from consideration for this position. Should your background check reveal any charges and convictions, it is your responsibility to provide RRCC Office of Human Resources with an official disposition of the charges.
Note: Former employees of the Colorado Community College System or one of its 13 colleges, who were disciplinary terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this within your application materials.
Red Rocks Community College is committed to diversity in its people and programs. The College prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment including those that violate federal and state law or the State Board for Community Colleges and Occupational Education Board Policies 3-120 and/or 4-120. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender, race, color, age, creed, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, pregnancy status, religion, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its employment practices or educational programs and activities. Red Rocks Community College will take appropriate steps to ensure that the lack of English language skills will not be a barrier to admission and/or participation in vocational education programs.
RRCC has designated Arnie Oudenhoven as its Affirmative Action Officer/Equal Opportunity Administrator/Title IX Administrator with the responsibility to coordinate its civil rights compliance activities and grievance procedures. Report all concerns or complaints relating to discrimination or harassment to the Title IX/EO Coordinator(s). For information, contact Arnie Oudenhoven Executive Director, HR, Title IX Coordinator, Title VII/Equal Opportunity Coordinator, ADA/Sec 504 Coordinator, via mail at 13300 West Sixth Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80228, phone 303.914.6298, email email@example.com or Deborah Houser, Assistant Director of Human Resources/Deputy Title IX Coordinator, via mail at 13300 West Sixth Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80228, phone 303.914.6224, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also contact the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Region VIII, Federal Office Building, 1244 North Speer Boulevard, Suite 310, Denver, CO 80204, telephone (303) 844-3417.Reasonable accommodation will be provided upon request for persons with disabilities. If you are a person with a disability who requires an accommodation to participate in the application process, please notify Human Resources at 303-914-6570.
RRCC conducts pre-employment background checks on all employment finalists to determine or verify background information, including criminal history, references from previous employment, qualifications, and, when applicable, driving history. Employment offers are contingent upon receiving a satisfactory report.
For information regarding Red Rocks Community College Security, including crime statistics for the Red Rocks Community College Lakewood and Arvada campuses, please see the Red Rocks Community College campus security website at http://www.rrcc.edu/police/. For a hard copy report, please contact 303.914.6494.