STEM Alliance Navigator
Position Title - STEM Alliance Navigator
Campus Location - Lakewood, Colorado
Primary Physical Work Address - 13300 West Sixth Avenue Lakewood Colorado 80228
Salary - $41,108
Starting Pay Rate - Starting salary is not negotiable.
Anticipated Start Date - February 01, 2019
FLSA Status - This position is not eligible for overtime
Opening Date - December 21, 2018
Closing Date - January 20, 2019
Job Type - Full Time
Red Rocks Community College seeks applications for a full time Stem Alliance Navigator position to join our Instructional Services Department.
Red Rocks Community College exemplifies extraordinary. We are dedicated to our Vision and Mission, which promote student achievement, staff empowerment, and community engagement. We live our values: Integrity, Collaboration, Learning, Inclusiveness, and Communication. We encourage applications from individuals whose background and interests align with our commitment to inclusiveness and welcome you to visit the RRCC Inclusion & Diversity webpage for additional information. Visit - https://www.rrcc.edu/about-us/our-mission and https://www.rrcc.edu/diversity for information.
With an unrivaled reputation grounded in our Values, we stand out as a cutting edge model in higher education. We are one of the first community colleges in the country to offer both Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs. Our continued pursuit of excellence is instilled in our employees and has inspired a dynamic and passionate culture.
Summary of Position: The Navigator is a key member of the Alliance staff and is responsible for day-to-day interactions with student participants. Position responsibilities include maintaining a caseload of LSAMP STEM students, providing coaching and information to support their engagement and success, guiding them toward completion of their programs of study, and helping to facilitate transfer to a four-year institution. The Navigator will meet with students one-on-one and in small groups, provide information about on-campus and off-campus resources, monitor and track student progress, collaborate with key institutional offices to address student need, collaboration with the other Alliance Navigators, collect student data for evaluation purposes, and submit monthly student progress reports to LSAMP (Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation) Project Director or Assistant Director and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, counseling or a related field from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- Three (3) years of relevant experience providing culturally relevant academic and/or student support services to underserved students.
- Experience working with faculty, college staff and related stakeholders.
- Master’s degree in science, engineering, mathematics or information technology (STEM) or related field.
- Membership in or experience working in diverse communities and supporting the success of students and staff from racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds that are underrepresented in the College.
- Experience in supporting students in a STEM-focused initiative.
- Experience working in a community college environment.
- Experience supporting federal-grant funded activities, including student file management, data and narrative reporting.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Excellent facilitation, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to prepare and deliver clear, concise reports and presentations appropriate to the target audience.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and inclusive excellence.
Description of Position:
- Guide students toward persistence and completion of their certificate, associate degree and/or transfer requirements through academic planning, course monitoring and intrusive, hands-on coaching support.
- Promote college resources and services that support and guide students in being successful in college, and assist them in becoming more self-directed, and in developing ownership in decision-making.
- Collaborate with advising and Career Center staff to assist students with career planning and identifying the appropriate course work to attain their educational and career goals.
- Create, facilitate, track, assess, and manage programming to bolster engagement and retention of underrepresented minority students in STEM classes at the college. Includes but is not limited to workshops, leadership activities, life skills, study skills, resource and advocacy building.
- Work with faculty and other college staff to identify and integrate opportunities for undergraduate research, industry visits and guest speakers, and internships with the goal of increasing students’ exposure to and opportunities to build professional skill-building experience in a variety of STEM fields.
- Design and implement a menu of industry-exposure and co-curricular activities each semester that promote retention, engagement and capacity building of LSAMP students.
- Design and implement strategies to promote and prepare LSAMP students to take advantage of opportunities to build their academic and professional portfolios, including outreach for level II students and more intensive engagement of level I students.
- Manage and track dissemination of student stipends used as an incentive for level I student engagement in workshops, leadership and industry engagement activities according to established guidelines.
- Coach and guide students on four-year transfer readiness, exploration and application, including identifying transfer program and institutional options, determining transfer requirements and steps to ensure readiness, assisting with application and financial aid, helping with identify resources and strategies to troubleshoot challenges.
- Develop strong working relationships with the 4-year transfer staff, with an emphasis on leveraging relationships with CO-WY AMP members, to support student troubleshooting, leverage unique B2B opportunities, and identify systemic issues to be resolved at the Alliance level.
- Maintain accurate intake records and files on students assigned while also keeping the appropriate documentation in Banner - SPACMNT, and Navigate on advising contacts and referrals.
- Participate in campus committees and projects as they relate to the goals of this project and to the college.
How to Apply:
Complete applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday January 20, 2019. To apply for this position, click the button below and complete an application, including the following:
- A cover letter describing your professional experiences and addressing the required and preferred qualifications.
- A resume.
- Transcripts (unofficial)
Additional upload sections are available in the application to include optional attachments.
Please note the following prior to beginning your application:
- Your application progress cannot be saved. If you exit prior to submitting your materials, you will need to restart the application.
- As a part of the application process, you will be asked to provide the name, phone number, and email address of three professional references. References will only be contacted for candidates at the second level interview stage.
- You will be required to attach a cover letter, resume, and transcripts. Your cover letter should describe your professional experiences and address the required and preferred qualifications.
- Once you submit your application, you will no longer have an opportunity to review or make changes.
- You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been received.
RRCC offers a range of benefit choices (Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, Life Insurance, Supplemental Retirement Plans, PERA, Disability Benefits, and more). For additional information, please click here, https://internal.cccs.edu/human-resources/employee-benefits/.
The Assessment Process:
Red Rocks Community College utilizes selection and/or search committees in the hiring process for vacant positions. The committee will review all applications received by the closing deadline listed on this announcement to determine if applicants meet required qualifications. The committee will complete a secondary review of applications that meet required qualifications to determine applicants that align more closely with the listed qualifications. The top applicants from this assessment process receive an invite for the first round of committee interviews.
Be sure your application materials specifically address your qualifications, experience, work products, and accomplishments, as they relate to the position responsibilities, required qualifications, and preferred qualifications sections of this announcement. Upload additional documents, if necessary, to fully explain your experience and qualifications as they relate to this position. Failure to include adequate information or follow instructions and apply by the listed submission deadline, may result in your application not being accepted for this position, and may affect your inclusion as a qualified candidate at any stage in the search/selection process for this position.
An unofficial copy of transcripts must be submitted at the time of application. Assessment is required for Transcripts from colleges or universities outside the United States for U.S. equivalency by a NACES educational credential evaluation service. This documentation is the responsibility of the applicant and must be included as part of your application materials. Failure to provide a transcript or credential evaluation report may result in the rejection of your application and you will not be continued in the search/selection process for this position announcement. If selected as the finalist for the position, official transcripts are required as a condition of employment.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Must submit to and successfully complete a pre-employment background check as a condition of hire. Felony convictions or conviction of crimes of moral turpitude or convictions of misdemeanors related to job duties may disqualify you from consideration for this position. Should your background check reveal any charges and convictions, it is your responsibility to provide RRCC Office of Human Resources with an official disposition of the charges.
Note: Former employees of the Colorado Community College System or one of its 13 colleges, who were disciplinary terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this within your application materials.
Red Rocks Community College is committed to diversity in its people and programs. The College is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, creed, color, sex/gender, sexual orientation gender identity, religion, age, national/ ethnic origin, pregnancy status, veteran’s status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or any other category protected by applicable law, in its employment practices or educational programs and activities.
RRCC has designated the Executive Director of Human Resources as its Affirmative Action Officer/Equal Opportunity Administrator/Title IX Administrator with the responsibility to coordinate its civil rights compliance activities and grievance procedures. For information, contact Executive Director of Human Resources, Title IX Coordinator, Title VII/Equal Opportunity Coordinator, ADA/Sec 504 Coordinator, 13300 West Sixth Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80228. 303-914-6298.
Reasonable accommodation will be provided upon request for persons with disabilities. If you are a person with a disability who requires an accommodation to participate in the application process, please notify Human Resources at 303-914-6570.
RRCC conducts pre-employment background checks on all employment finalists to determine or verify background information, including criminal history, references from previous employment, qualifications, and, when applicable, driving history. Employment offers are contingent upon receiving a satisfactory report.
For information regarding Red Rocks Community College Security, including crime statistics for the Red Rocks Community College Lakewood and Arvada campuses,