Faculty - Biology
FT Faculty: Biology. Red Rocks Community College seeks applications for a full time Biology faculty position to join our Science Department beginning in August 2018.
Red Rocks Community College exemplifies extraordinary. We are dedicated to our Vision and Mission, which promote student achievement, staff empowerment, and community engagement. We live our values: Integrity, Collaboration, Learning, Inclusiveness, and Communication. (See: http://www.rrcc.edu/diversity) We encourage applications from individuals whose background and interests align with our commitment to inclusiveness.
With an unrivaled reputation grounded in our Values, we stand out as a cutting edge model in higher education. We are one of the first community colleges in the country to offer both Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs. Our continued pursuit of excellence is instilled in our employees and has inspired a dynamic and passionate culture.
This position is a full time faculty appointment that performs instruction-related duties and responsibilities in the Science Department at the College.
- Teach courses in the Biology department.
- Teach day, evening, and/or weekend, courses in accordance with approved course of study or outline utilizing traditional and alternative methods of instruction (including computer-aided, on-line, distance learning, self-paced, interdisciplinary, etc.) where appropriate.
- Coordinate class structure and organization, prepare course materials, demonstrate and maintain currency in the discipline and in teaching methodology, present instructional material effectively.
- Maintain professional and courteous interaction with students and employees, and demonstrate sensitivity to different learning styles.
- Hold regular office hours, encourage student engagement and student achievement, utilize assessment data to facilitate student learning.
- Document teaching and curriculum changes based on assessment results, incorporate course, program, and college student learning outcomes into teaching, utilize student retention strategies, integrate technology into course work as appropriate to the discipline.
- Assist with program and plan development and maintenance, coordinate instructional programs as assigned.
- Review, coordinate, and recommend textbooks and/or class materials. Comply with college procedures pertaining to grading and record keeping.
- Assist in maintaining inventory control of equipment, tools, and supplies required for classes, and in requesting repair and/or replacement for the equipment according to division regulations.
Service: Fulfill the mission and goals of the College outside of the classroom. Provide service to the Instructional Services Division as well as the College and community. Components may include but are not limited to:
- Conduct classroom observations and provide performance feedback for part-time faculty.
- Develop and communicate program policies and procedures to staff and students. Assure the integrity of the established standards and procedures.
- Provide academic and behavioral advising to students to facilitate successful outcomes
- Manage program curriculum development, review, evaluation, updates, and revisions.
- Oversees curriculum delivery via proper scheduling and staffing of courses, managing textbook/lab supplies, and licensing/maintenance of equipment.
- Serve as the college representative on a local board or commission; make community and/or professional presentations and serve as a liaison to local schools.
- Participate in strategic planning, program assessment, and accreditation activities as required by the college.
- Serve as the college representative on a local board or commission; making community or professional presentations;
- Participate in various college, system, and/or professional activities intended for professional development to develop the faculty member and to enhance the faculty member’s contribution to the mission and goals of the department and institution.
- A master’s degree in Microbiology or related field with at least 18 graduate hours in or related to Microbiology from an academic institution accredited by an agency that is recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE) or Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- One year of full time or 30 semester credit hours post-secondary experience teaching.
- Proficiency in curriculum development, supervision, instruction, evaluation, and academic advising.
- PhD in Microbiology or related field.
- Experience teaching microbiology.
- Experience with a wide range of students at the community college level or in a comparable setting.
- Experience teaching with technology, in alternative formats.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to teach students using traditional and alternative methods of instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate technology into the classroom where appropriate.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
You will admire the friendly culture of our campus and be inspired by our team environment and dedicated employees. Additionally, we offer:
Attractive health, dental, vision, life, and flexible savings options; we will also help you build your retirement savings via our defined benefit or defined contribution plans.
An opportunity to become a lifelong-learner and enjoy considerable savings for the college education of your dependents through our tuition reimbursement program.
For a complete overview of our benefits, please visit the benefits section of our website. www.rrcc.edu/human-resources/benefits-information
Connect daily and make a difference in the lives of thousands of students working to earn an Associate’s, Bachelor’s, or a Master’s degree at Red Rocks Community College (RRCC). RRCC has two campuses: our main campus in Lakewood, Colorado and our newly expanded campus in Arvada, Colorado. Red Rocks is Colorado’s premier community college and the fourth largest in the state, serving over 15,000 students each year. RRCC is the first community college in the nation to offer a Master’s degree in Physician Assistant studies and the first in Colorado to offer a Bachelor’s degree in Water Quality Management.
This college is located on the 140-acre, beautifully landscaped, Lakewood main campus, high in the foothills, with views looking along the Front Range to Boulder and beyond. Just minutes from downtown Denver, with dedicated RTD light-rail and bus stops, commuting is quick and easy. At Lakewood, RRCC offers employee access to an on-campus coffee shop and cafeteria, an on-campus children’s center, health clinic, recreational facilities, and a brand new 38,000 square foot recreation center, complete with climbing wall, a large gym with basketball courts, state of the art fitness equipment, and full locker rooms to make your transition back to work easy and efficient. RRCC also offers tuition assistance for full-time employees and most dependents, for classes within the 13-college, state-wide Colorado Community College System.
Former employees of the Colorado Community College System or one of its 13 colleges, who were disciplinary terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this within your application materials.
Red Rocks Community College is committed to diversity in its people and programs. The College is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, creed, color, sex/gender, sexual orientation gender identity, religion, age, national/ ethnic origin, pregnancy status, veteran’s status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or any other category protected by applicable law, in its employment practices or educational programs and activities.
RRCC has designated the Executive Director of Human Resources as its Affirmative Action Officer/Equal Opportunity Administrator/Title IX Administrator with the responsibility to coordinate its civil rights compliance activities and grievance procedures. For information, contact Executive Director of Human Resources, Title IX Coordinator, Title VII/Equal Opportunity Coordinator, ADA/Sec 504 Coordinator, 13300 West Sixth Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80228. 303-914-6298.
Reasonable accommodation will be provided upon request for persons with disabilities. If you are a person with a disability who requires an accommodation to participate in the application process, please notify Human Resources at 303-914-6570.
RRCC conducts pre-employment background checks on all employment finalists to determine or verify background information, including criminal history, references from previous employment, qualifications, and, when applicable, driving history. Employment offers are contingent upon receiving a satisfactory report.
For information regarding Red Rocks Community College security, including crime statistics for the Red Rocks Community College Lakewood and Arvada campuses, please see the Red Rocks Community College campus security website at: http://www.rrcc.edu/police/. For a hard copy report please contact 303.914.6494.