Assistive Technology Professional
Red Rocks Community College seeks applications for a full time Assistive Technology Professional to join our Student Success Services team!
Red Rocks Community College exemplifies extraordinary. We are dedicated to our Vision and Mission, which promote student achievement, staff empowerment, and community engagement. We live our values: Integrity, Collaboration, Learning, Inclusiveness, and Communication. (See: http://www.rrcc.edu/diversity) We encourage applications from individuals whose background and interests align with our commitment to inclusiveness.
With an unrivaled reputation grounded in our Values, we stand out as a cutting edge model in higher education. We are one of the first community colleges in the country to offer both Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs. Our continued pursuit of excellence is instilled in our employees and has inspired a dynamic and passionate culture.
Connect daily and make a difference in the lives of thousands of students working to earn an Associate’s, Bachelor’s, or a Master’s degree at Red Rocks Community College (RRCC). RRCC has two campuses: our main campus in Lakewood, Colorado and our newly expanded campus in Arvada, Colorado. Red Rocks is Colorado’s premier community college and the fourth largest in the state, serving over 15,000 students each year. RRCC is the first community college in the nation to offer a Master’s degree in Physician Assistant studies and the first in Colorado to offer a Bachelor’s degree in Water Quality Management.
Position Summary: The Assistive Technology Professional is responsible for all functions of the Assistive Technology (AT) Lab and accessibility in campus wide computer labs. The position is responsible to train students on the use of assistive technology software and hardware. Secure or create alternate format media/books, and research new assistive technology options. Act as a key player in training and supporting RRCC staff on creating accessible on-line documents to bring all web materials into compliance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education, Human Services, Therapeutic Recreation, Adaptive Physical Education, Disability Services, Education, Instructional Technology or a related field
- SUBSTITUTION: A combination of education and work experience providing Assistive Technology services or related professional services may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the degree but not for the required work experience
- One year of experience working in an Accessibility Services office, preferably higher education.
- Membership in or experience working in diverse communities and supporting the success of students and staff from racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds that are underrepresented in the College
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Awareness of assistive technology such as Dragon Dictate, Livescribe Pens, Kurzweil and Fusion Pro
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals with disabilities from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to provide quality customer service
- Knowledge of and proficient in use of computer software technology
- Proficient ability to navigate and use typical computer software programs
Description of Position:
- AT Lab maintenance and campus labs accessibility: Ensure that the computers, assistive software and hardware are up-to-date and functioning properly in the AT Lab and campus-wide labs. Work with Computer Services to resolve any computer, software, or hardware issues.
- Student Training: Train students how to effectively use assistive technology software and hardware. Provide support in the AT Lab for anyone utilizing the computers in the AT Lab. Supervise, train and evaluate student employees working in the AT Lab.
- Text in alternate format: Request media/ books in alternate format from the respective publishers. Document requests for books by students and receipt from publishers. Scan and edit textbooks for alternate format conversion.
- Web accessibility staff training/support: Train and provide ongoing support for college staff regarding accessible forms and documents.
- Research: Research and make recommendations to the director for new assistive technology for the lab and for individual student’s accommodations.
Starting salary: $41,108/annual
How to Apply:
Complete applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday January 01, 2019. To apply for this position, click the button below and complete an application, including the following:
- A cover letter (specially addressing how you meet the required and preferred qualifications for this position)
- A resume
- You will be asked for the contact information (email and phone number) for three professional references in the application
Note: Former employees of the Colorado Community College System or one of its 13 colleges, who were disciplinary terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this within your application materials.
Red Rocks Community College is committed to diversity in its people and programs. The College is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, creed, color, sex/gender, sexual orientation gender identity, religion, age, national/ ethnic origin, pregnancy status, veteran’s status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or any other category protected by applicable law, in its employment practices or educational programs and activities.
RRCC has designated the Executive Director of Human Resources as its Affirmative Action Officer/Equal Opportunity Administrator/Title IX Administrator with the responsibility to coordinate its civil rights compliance activities and grievance procedures. For information, contact Executive Director of Human Resources, Title IX Coordinator, Title VII/Equal Opportunity Coordinator, ADA/Sec 504 Coordinator, 13300 West Sixth Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80228. 303-914-6298.
Reasonable accommodation will be provided upon request for persons with disabilities. If you are a person with a disability who requires an accommodation to participate in the application process, please notify Human Resources at 303-914-6570.
RRCC conducts pre-employment background checks on all employment finalists to determine or verify background information, including criminal history, references from previous employment, qualifications, and, when applicable, driving history. Employment offers are contingent upon receiving a satisfactory report.
For information regarding Red Rocks Community College security, including crime statistics for the Red Rocks Community College Lakewood and Arvada campuses, please see the Red Rocks Community College campus security website at: http://www.rrcc.edu/police/. For a hard copy report please contact 303.914.6494.